In 2018, the Structural Genomics Consortium (SGC) launched its Extreme Open Science Initiative as the next phase in our mission1-6 to use open access and open science to accelerate the discovery of new medicines.
In this program, researchers from different SGC labs around the globe are opening up their laboratory notebooks to share their day-to-day results. Rather than wait months, even years, to share their research through journal publication as is the current practice, these scientists are posting their experimental data and protocols online and in real-time.
By sharing our research in this open and timely manner, we will reduce duplication of work, help foster new collaborations and cultivate a more open dialogue with others.
To learn more or if you are interested in joining the Open Science movement please contact Matthieu Schapira at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Why biomedical philanthropy supports redundant science, Edwards A, TEDxToronto 2016, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wtp7R97jz5k
- Big pharma buys into crowdsourcing for drug discovery, Wilhelm M, Wired Magazine 2017, https://www.wired.com/story/big-pharma-buys-into-crowdsourcing-for-drug-discovery/
- Patent-free pact pushes the boundaries of precompetitive research, Dolgin E, Nature Medicine 2014, https://www.nature.com/articles/nm0614-564
- A trust approach for sharing research reagents, Edwards A et al., Sci Transl Med. 2017, http://stm.sciencemag.org/content/9/392/eaai9055.short
- Establishing a reliable framework for harnessing the creative power of the scientific crowd, Carter AJ et al., PLoS Biology 2017, http://dx.plos.org/10.1371/journal.pbio.2001387
- Myeloma UK and the Structural Genomics Consortium announce open-access collaboration to discover new drug targets for myeloma, Myeloma UK 2016, https://www.myeloma.org.uk/news/myeloma-uk-and-the-structural-genomics-consortium-announce-open-access-collaboration-to-discover-new-drug-targets-for-myeloma/
Other non-SGC open lab notebooks
- Real-Time Reports, Truant lab – McMaster (Neurodegeneration) https://raytruantlab.wordpress.com
- Open Source Malaria (Chemistry) http://opensourcemalaria.org
- Rosanne Hertzberger (Microbiology) http://www.reblab.org
- Carl Boettinger (Ecology) http://www.carlboettiger.info/lab-notebook.html
- Dror Batan (Mathematics) http://drorbn.net/AcademicPensieve/2017-11/index.html
- Open Notebook Science Network (ONSN) http://onsnetwork.org Catalog
- Tobias Osborne (Theoretical Physics) https://tjoresearchnotes.wordpress.com Teaching resource
- Andres G. Saravia https://research-engine.appspot.com/andres Archive