Design of split-intein mediated SCN1A protein trans-splicing

Previously, I provided a brief overview on SCN1A related Dravet Syndrome (DS) and the need for larger gene therapy vectors or alternative methods to deliver functional copies of SCN1A to affected cells in DS. The goal of my project is to explore one of these alternative methods, specifically a split-intein mediated protein trans-splicing method, that Read More …

Introduction to CaMKK2: Goals and previous work

The goal of the Structural Genomics Consortium (SGC) is to discover and share selective small molecule inhibitors of protein kinases. Kinases have key roles in cell signaling, regulation of cell cycle progression, metabolism and other significant biological function. Cancers, immunological and metabolic diseases, among other ailments are caused by deregulation of kinase function. Protein kinases Read More …

Some good news! I have data! Not just any data – 1.25 Å data!

So, the week has been super busy, but all for good reasons this time!! I’m absolutely thrilled to say that amongst all the salt crystals I found in my crystal plates, I also found the crystals below, one of which diffracted to 1.25 Å. This is definitely the highest resolution I’ve ever worked with. It’s amazing! Read More …

How high throughput fragment screening is reviving old school crystallography tricks

Takeaway: Why: we need lots of well diffracting crystals. How: crystallisation growth optimisation. What: tweaking conditions, phase space understanding, seeding, MMS. At this day and age (2018) many people are thinking that the future of structural molecular biology being about serial XFEL or synchrotron crystallography and electron diffraction, which are great tools to harness the Read More …

Characterisation of HAO1 fragment hits in solution

In my previous post, I described four promising fragments bound to HAO1 structures. Specifically, I described two key areas of HAO1 – the gating loop and active site Trp110 – where fragments 1, 2 and 5 bind. I also described fragment 6 at the subunit interface of HAO1, away from the active site. After analysis Read More …

More protein purification and some fine screens

As mentioned in my last post, I got 26 mg of ACVR1 on my last purification (as shown in my Zenodo log here). This is fabulous as it has allowed me to follow up a number of conditions for crystallisation. In particular, one of these hits was in G10 of my composite screen. I’ve therefore Read More …

Screening Compounds of Interest against USP5 Zf-UBD by SPR #2

I used a surface plasmon resonance assay to determine the binding affinities of hit compounds that were identified in 19F NMR spectroscopy screens against the zinc finger ubiquitin binding domain of USP5. To see how these assays work, check out some of my previous posts! You can see details of the SPR experiment on Zenodo. Read More …

Lots of protein now! A massive composite screen and a few crystal hits

Now that our workhorse ACVR1 construct is expressing again, I’m getting loads of protein – 26 mg on the last 3 L scale up! Because of this, I’ve been really busy in the lab trying to get things back up to speed again. While waiting for the ACVR1 to work, I purified some TGFBR1 (ALK5) Read More …

Structure Solution for BMPR1B/FKBP12 complex bound to M4K2009.

Structure Solution for BMPR1B/FKBP12 complex bound to M4K2009. Good news everybody! From the crystals I sent to the Diamond Light Source (a synchrotron, or particle accelerator, that gives very high quality x-rays) last week, I got a data set for BMPR1B/FKBP12 with M4K2009 bound to it! This is one of the compounds that the M4K Read More …